We are a local charity actively working with local Councils, Glandwr Cymru, the Canal and River Trust in Wales and other partners to improve and sustainably restore the Mon & Brec Canal for the benefit of the local community. We undertake on-the-ground restoration and run a successful interpretation centre at Fourteen Locks, Newport, where we have partnered with Newport City Council to run an "Education through Restoration" project with local schools. We operate a small passenger boat, taking school parties and families onto the water.
The aims of the Trust are to promote ...
- the improvement and maintenance of the navigable waterway from Brecon to Five Locks Pontnewydd.
- sustainable regeneration of the canal from Five Locks, Pontnewydd to Newport and from Newport up to Cwmcarn
- greater awareness of the economic benefit to local communities and businesses through tourism and leisure Activities.
- education and interpretation through displays and presentations of the culture and history of the canal and its people.
- personal health and well being. Angling, boating, cycling, walking and wildlife interests are of equal importance in the use of the canal corridor and will be enhanced by the achievement of the aims.